Mists of Ærth
- Population: 1,500 regular residents, with around 5,000 visitors and traders per week
- Government: Officially a Hammer outpost, the law of the land is “keep the peace if you want to trade here”
- Defense: Any number of trade house personal guard, in addition to a sizable private armory and well-manned guard
- Commerce: The Crossing is the bustling center of trade between Humans and the other races of Ærth
- Organizations: The private guard funds extensive weapons research, with frequent recruitment
- Natural Resources: Aside from its natural defenses, none
The Crossing was the first major trade settlement established above Mistline for the purposes of supplying the fledgling human towns with building materials and weaponry. In the years since its founding, the need for building materials has dropped significantly, while the need for adequate weaponry and armor has only increased. The Crossing has become the world’s top spot for pricing diverse weapons and armor for all the races of Ærth, and is perhaps the only “civilized” settlement that allows some races otherwise considered to be part of the Beastly Hordes to shop and trade freely.
In his travels to assist the migrant Humans, Hagbard Hammersmith discovered a defensible mesa in the center of a clearing in the densely forested twin sickle range. The mesa was nigh-impossible to access, except by one path, and Hammersmith deemed it a good spot to make camp and scout for potential threats. As his men set up their tents for the night, he realized how valuable this location could be as a trading settlement, and sent a courier to Hammerston to send workers and additional caravan runners. In doing so, he laid the roots of perhaps the most profitable trading post on Ærth.